You can place your orders on our online portal today.
Great Crested Newt eDNA
NatureMetrics has run a GCN eDNA service since 2015, and we have processed thousands of samples for a wide variety of clients. We pride ourselves on quality of service, and are very pleased to have 100% proficiency rating 2020 for the third year in a row.
2020 GCN Season
We’ve had a very successful 2020 GCN season, promising excellent performance with our 100 % proficiency rated GCN service. We are pleased to continually offer a high-quality, high-capacity GCN service with a 2, 5 & 10 day UK turnaround, and international delivery options too. We aim to return results when they are done, even if this is before the deadline. If you place your order before 12pm we can dispatch for next-day UK delivery or at a later date of your choice.
For new accounts, ordering & price enquiries, please email email@example.com or give us a call on 0203 8767350.
If you are an existing customer you can place your orders by logging onto your ordering portal here.
For maximum traceability use our NM FieldMate app to record your data whilst you’re in the field! You can also use the customer portal to track the progress of your samples in our lab and view your report online.
Why choose us as your eDNA lab?
We are not alone in offering this service, but we believe there are a few things that set us apart from the competition.
- No extra courier fees, as collection and delivery is included in the per-sample cost.
- Ultra-clean laboratory for DNA extraction to guard against contamination.
- We offer an online order portal with sample tracking system for all our customers, where you can place orders and view the progress of your samples.
- Our NM FieldMate app will allow you to collect and submit your field data on the go.
- Place your order by midday for next day delivery.
- You don't need to book a slot for your samples, we have a high capacity to process your GCN samples.
- We go the extra mile to make sure that you have your kits when you need them. We understand that site access can be complex, and once it’s arranged, the last thing you want is to be unable to take the samples because your kits haven’t arrived. In the past we have hand-delivered kits all over the country on occasions when couriers let us down.
- We don’t require payment in advance, we work with you to make sure invoicing is compatible with your internal systems, separating invoices by project number where required.
- We get results to you on time and as quickly as possible. That means that even if you have booked the standard 10-day service, if your samples are ready within 3 days then that’s when you will receive your results.
- We will always try our best to accommodate your needs above and beyond the regular service. Whether this is needing last minute kits or super-fast turnaround of results – we will do our very best to meet these requirements where possible.
About Our Service
eDNA is a recognised method for establishing the presence or absence of Great Crested Newts in ponds during the breeding season. We follow Natural England’s approved protocol (WC1067), which ensures that the test meets regulatory requirements. The test is based on qPCR, which is carried out in 12 replicates per sample. NatureMetrics has run a GCN eDNA service since 2015, and we have processed thousands of samples for a wide variety of clients. In 2018 we extended our capacity and returned 100% of results on time. We also participate in the proficiency testing scheme and scored 100% in the 2018, 2019 and 2020 tests.
We offer a Standard Turnaround service (10 working days from receipt of sample in the lab) and a Fast Turnaround service (5 working days from receipt). We can usually offer super-fast turnaround (2 days) on request.
We operate a highly conservative workflow across two entirely separate laboratory sites. The first site is ultra-clean and used exclusively for extracting DNA from environmental samples within a positive-pressure Category 7 cleanroom. DNA from all samples is stored here, while a subsample is transferred to our other site for qPCR analysis. Unidirectional workflows are operated both within and between sites.
Set by Natural England, the official shelf life of the kits is 3 months, so you should be able to keep hold of the kits for most of the season.