Great Crested Newt eDNA
NatureMetrics has run a GCN eDNA service since 2015, and we have processed thousands of samples for a wide variety of clients.
We pride ourselves on quality of service, and are very pleased to have scored 100% in the 2018 and 2019 proficiency tests.
2019 GCN Season
We are pleased to be once again offering a high-quality, high-capacity service, following a very successful 2018 season and excellent performance in proficiency testing. Our standard prices are £170 + VAT for a 10 working days turnaround, or £260 + VAT for a 5 working days turnaround (price includes sample kit, delivery, collection and analysis). We offer preferential rates for clients who set up an account on our ordering and sample tracking system. For maximum traceability use our NM FieldMate app to record your data in the field!
For account, ordering & price enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you place your order before 1pm we can dispatch for next-day delivery or a later date of your choice.
If you are an existing customer you can place your orders using the online GCN portal, and use the NM FieldMate app. If you are a new customer please email email@example.com or call us on 0203 8767350 and we will set you up with an account straight away.
Why choose us as your eDNA lab?
We are not alone in offering this service, but we believe there are a few things that set us apart from the competition.
- No extra courier fees, as collection and delivery is included in the per-sample cost.
- Ultra-clean laboratory for DNA extraction to guard against contamination.
- For regular customers, we offer an online sample tracking system through which you can place orders and view the progress of your samples. We also have a mobile app that allows you to collect and submit field data on your smartphone.
- We go the extra mile to make sure that you have your kits when you need them. We understand that site access can be complex, and once it’s arranged, the last thing you want is to be unable to take the samples because your kits haven’t arrived. In the past we have hand-delivered kits all over the country on occasions when couriers let us down.
- We don’t require payment in advance, but can work with you to make sure that invoicing is compatible with your internal systems, separating invoices by project number where required.
- We get results to you on time and as quickly as possible. That means that even if you have booked the standard 10-day service, if your samples are ready within 3 days then that’s when you will receive your results.
- We will always try our best to accomodate your needs above and beyond the regular service. Whether this is needing last minute kits or super-fast turnaround of results – no guarantees, but we will do our very best to meet these requirements where possible.
About Our Service
eDNA is a recognised method for establishing the presence or absence of Great Crested Newts in ponds during the breeding season. We follow Natural England’s approved protocol (WC1067), which ensures that the test meets regulatory requirements. The test is based on qPCR, which is carried out in 12 replicates per sample. NatureMetrics has run a GCN eDNA service since 2015, and we have processed thousands of samples for a wide variety of clients. In 2018 we extended our capacity and returned 100% of results on time. We also participate in the proficiency testing scheme and scored 100% in the 2018 and 2019 tests.
We offer a Standard Turnaround service (10 working days from receipt of sample in the lab) and a Fast Turnaround service (5 working days from receipt). We can usually offer super-fast turnaround (2 days) on request.
We operate a highly conservative workflow across two entirely separate laboratory sites. The first site is ultra-clean and used exclusively for extracting DNA from environmental samples within a positive-pressure Category 7 cleanroom. DNA from all samples is stored here, while a subsample is transferred to our other site for qPCR analysis. Unidirectional workflows are operated both within and between sites.
We are proud to deliver this service in partnership with NHBS. Kits are made at NHBS facilities in Devon and are sent directly to clients without coming near the laboratories where samples are processed. This ensures that there is no risk of kits being contaminated. Set by Natural England, the official shelf life of the kits is 3 months, so you should be able to keep hold of the kits for most of the season.