Great Crested Newt eDNA Service - In partnership with
About our service
NatureMetrics has been running a GCN eDNA service since 2015, and we have processed thousands of samples for a wide variety of clients. We follow Natural England’s approved protocol (WC1067), which ensures that the test meets regulatory requirements. We are also participating in the proficiency testing scheme that is being introduced in 2017.
New this year, we have a second laboratory site that is ultra-clean and used exclusively for the extraction of DNA from environmental samples. Located several miles away from our other laboratories, with dedicated staff and an entirely unidirectional workflow, this gives us full protection against the risk of laboratory contamination.
We are working in partnership with NHBS to deliver the highest quality sampling kits. Kits are made at NHBS facilities in Devon and are sent directly to clients without coming near the laboratories where samples are processed. This ensures that there is no risk of kits being contaminated.
You can place a one-off order via this webform. Alternatively, if you think you are likely to place several orders during the course of the season, get in touch with us so we can set you up with your own admin account on our web platform.
Our standard pricing is £170 + VAT for 10-day turnaround, and £270 + VAT for 5-day turnaround, but discounts are available for larger orders. Please contact us for details.
Click here to read our Terms and Conditions for the 2017 service
Why choose us as your eDNA lab?
There are several labs out there who offer this service, but we believe there are a few things that set us apart from the competition.
- No extra courier fees, as delivery is included in the per-sample cost.
- New ultra-clean laboratory for DNA extraction to guard against contamination.
- For regular customers, we offer an online sample tracking system through which you can place orders and view the progress of your samples. We also have a mobile app that allows you to collect and submit field data on your phone.
- We go the extra mile to make sure that you have your kits when you need them. We understand that site access can be complex, and once it's arranged, the last thing you want is to be unable to take the samples because your kits haven't arrived. In the past we have hand-delivered kits all over the country on occasions when couriers let us down, and we will do the same in 2017 if required.
- We don't require payment in advance, but can work with you to make sure that invoicing is compatible with your internal systems, separating invoices by project number where required.
- We get results to you on time and as quickly as possible. That means that even if you have booked the standard 2-week service, if your samples are ready wthin 3 days then that's when you will receive your results.
- We will always try our best to accomodate your needs above and beyond the regular service. Whether this is needing last minute kits or super-fast turnaround of results - no guarantees, but we will do our very best to meet these requirements where possible.